The Quatre-Quart is a kind of Pound Cake from Brittany, West of France. The meaning of Quatre-Quarts means four quarter (eggs, butter, flour and sugar).
In this recipe you start by weighing the eggs first when you obtain the weigh eggs, you use the same weight for the butter, the flour, and the sugar. I added some crushed pink pralines to the recipe.
- 4 medium eggs (200g for me)
- 200g of salted melted butter
- 200g of caster sugar
- 200g of all purpose flour/plain flour
- 150g of ground crushed pink praline
- 5g of baking powder
- Icing sugar
- Lemon juice
- Weigh your eggs, use the same weight for the butter, sugar and the flour.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and the sugar until they become pale and creamy.
- Add the flour/baking powder and continue to whisk.
- Finally, add the melted butter.
- Whisk everything energetically.
- Add the crushed pink praline and mix gently with a spatula.
- Grease and flour a baking pan (bunt cake me).
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a bowl whisk some icing sugar and lemon juice until you obtain a light texture for the glazing.
- Transfer the cake to a serving dish.
- Glazed the top as a decoration and add some crushed pink praline.
The Quatre-Quart is moist. I like it with a hot good cup of tea and how it’s still as moist the following morning.
33 Comments Add yours
This is such a good cake and have heard of it for the first time. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Sonal 🙂 It’s a very good cake, very moist and I like it more the following morning. It’s my pleasure to share!
Just recently I learned the meaning of a pound cake and now this! It’s such an attractive cake. I’m having a coffee right now and sadly without your cake.
Thank you very much Seana 🙂 I have always loved the idea of pound cakes, and how simple yet so tasty they can be. You can use a lot of toppings!
delicious!!! i love this cake!
Thank you Simi 🙂
Looks beautiful. What an interesting concept to weigh the eggs and then the other ingredients to match the weight of the eggs. It’s like the pound cake, but maybe not as bad for your health. 🙂
Thanks Ngan 🙂 When I started baking it was one of my first recipe, always my grand-mother told me you cannot go wrong with the Quatre-Quart, she was right.
Delicious looking cake, Linda! Thanks for the education on the name, too. I love learning tid-bits such as this. 🙂
Thank you Nancy 🙂 Very simple to bake and prefect with a cup tea. (I’m sure it would be good with pears too)!
Hi Linda, here are my cocas.By the way, I live in Abu Dhabi. I thought it was interesting that you are so nearby.Cheers, Erin.
Hi Erin, I’m so excited that you are living in Abu Dhabi 🙂 Btw I did not receive the pictures of your Cocas 😦 Try to send them on my mail box !
Linda the texture of that cake is perfect…. I can almost touch its softness.
Thank you Margherita 🙂 Yes, it is very soft and moist and so easy to bake (I’m a lazy mama). It’s always a pleasure to share. Bonne nuit!
Quatre quarts, one of my absolute favorite recipes! Thanks for this lovely variation…
Thank you Sabine 🙂 I always like it with a good cup of tea! I think some cakes go very well with a cup of tea and others with a good cup of coffee!
This looks lovely and so light and fluffy.
Thank you so much Charisma 🙂
Thank you so much 🙂
This is beautiful, Linda.
Thank you so much Patty 🙂
What an interesting way of making this pound cake. I love it when I learn new tidbits about food! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous pound cake with us.
Thank you so much, Lidia 🙂 The cake is easy to do and very moist in texture!
What a beautiful, moist looking cake! Also love the fact that it improves in flavour by the next day – fantastic to be able to make a day ahead if there’s lots to do! 🙂
Thank you so much Margot 🙂 This cake is easy to bake, no mistake with the ingredients and very tasty. Some cakes are dried the following morning but the quatre-quart keeps its flavor!
Wonderful cake Linda! So beautifully moist and soft!
Thank you Serena 🙂 It is very moist and I love it the following morning, the texture is softer !
What a delicious looking cake Linda 🙂
Thank you Naina 🙂 Very simple but very tasty!
délicieuse tarte !! magnifique !!;)
Merci beaucoup Safia 🙂