Quatre-Quarts aux Pruneaux, Prunes Pound Cake

IMG_9889

IMG_9898

The Quatre-Quart is a kind of Pound Cake from Brittany, West of France. The meaning of Quatre-Quarts means four quarter (eggs, butter, flour and sugar). In this recipe you start by weighing the eggs first when you obtain the weigh eggs, you use the same weight for the butter, the flour, and the sugar. I added dried pitted Prunes but the original Quatre-Quart is eaten simple, without any topping.

Serves 8/10

Ingredients:

• 4 medium eggs (200g for me)
  • 200g of soft butter
  • 200g of granulated white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
  • 200g of wheat flour
  • 200g of pitted dried prunes
  • 5g of baking powder
  • Icing sugar

Procedure:

1. Weigh your eggs, use the same weight for the butter, sugar and the flour.
  2. In a bowl whisk the eggs and the sugar until they become creamy.
  3. Add the soft butter and continue to whisk.
  4. Finally, add the flour with the baking powder and the vanilla sugar.
  5. Whisk everything energetically.
  6. Pour the dried prunes and mix gently with a spatula.
  7. Grease and flour a baking pan.
  8. Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
  9. Slowly pour the mixture into the baking pan.
  10. Bake for 40 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  11. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
  12. Transfer the cake to a serving dish, dust with icing sugar and add prunes on the top as a decoration.

The Quatre-Quarts is moist in texture and the dried prunes give a harmonious taste to the cake. I like it with a hot good cup of tea and how it’s still as moist the following morning.

Bon Appétit!

1. This is such a good cake and have heard of it for the first time. Thanks for sharing.

1. Thank you Sonal 🙂 It’s a very good cake, very moist and I like it more the following morning. It’s my pleasure to share!

2. Just recently I learned the meaning of a pound cake and now this! It’s such an attractive cake and I love how you used dried prunes inside and on top. I’m having a coffee right now and sadly without your cake.

1. Thank you very much Seana 🙂 I have always loved the idea of pound cakes, and how simple yet so tasty they can be. You can use a lot of toppings (but I found that dried fruits – especially prunes – go very well with this recipe)!

3. acasadisimi says:

delicious!!! i love this cake!

4. Ngan R. says:

Looks beautiful. What an interesting concept to weigh the eggs and then the other ingredients to match the weight of the eggs. It’s like the pound cake, but maybe not as bad for your health. 🙂 I like the addition of the prunes, too.

1. Thanks Ngan 🙂 When I started baking it was one of my first recipe, always my grand-mother told me you cannot go wrong with the Quatre-Quart, she was right. The addition of dried prunes are so good in this pound cake!

5. Nancy says:

Delicious looking cake, Linda! Thanks for the education on the name, too. I love learning tid-bits such as this. 🙂

1. Thank you Nancy 🙂 Very simple to bake and prefect with a cup tea. (I’m sure it would be good with pears too)!

6. elgougam@gmail.com says:

‎Hi Linda, here are my cocas.By the way, I live in Abu Dhabi. I thought it was interesting that you are so nearby.Cheers, Erin.

1. Hi Erin, I’m so excited that you are living in Abu Dhabi 🙂 Btw I did not receive the pictures of your Cocas 😦 Try to send them on my mail box !

7. Linda the texture of that cake is perfect…. I can almost touch its softness. I think it would be good even with some other dry fruits…. thanks a lot for sharing!

1. Thank you Margherita 🙂 Yes, it is very soft and moist and so easy to bake (I’m a lazy mama). It’s always a pleasure to share. Bonne nuit!

8. sabine says:

Quatre quarts, one of my absolute favorite recipes! Thanks for this lovely variation…

1. Thank you Sabine 🙂 I always like it with a good cup of tea! I think some cakes go very well with a cup of tea and others with a good cup of coffee!

9. Charisma says:

This looks lovely and so light and fluffy.

1. Thank you so much Charisma 🙂

1. Thank you so much 🙂

10. Patty Nguyen says:

Prunes are so tasty with cake. This is beautiful, Linda.

1. Thank you so much Patty 🙂

11. ohlidia says:

What an interesting way of making this pound cake. I love it when I learn new tidbits about food! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous pound cake with us.

1. Thank you so much, Lidia 🙂 The cake is easy to do and very moist in texture!

12. What a beautiful, moist looking cake! Also love the fact that it improves in flavour by the next day – fantastic to be able to make a day ahead if there’s lots to do! 🙂

1. Thank you so much Margot 🙂 This cake is easy to bake, no mistake with the ingredients and very tasty. Some cakes are dried the following morning but the quatre-quart keeps its flavor!

13. Serena says:

Wonderful cake Linda! So beautifully moist and soft!

1. Thank you Serena 🙂 It is very moist and I love it the following morning, the texture is softer !

14. What a delicious looking cake Linda 🙂

1. Thank you Naina 🙂 Very simple but very tasty!

15. safia-safou says:

délicieuse tarte !! magnifique !!;)

1. Merci beaucoup Safia 🙂