The weekend is here and this is the best time for my family and I to relax, the weather is hot and the garden is blooming it is also Fiesta Friday, the party becomes very festive. I decided to bake Chouquettes!
Chouquettes are made with a simple ‘Pâte à Choux’// ‘Choux Pastry’, the same dough that we use for Petit Choux, Profiterolles or Paris-Brest the only difference the Chouquettes are hollow inside, no cream, just a little Pearl sugar or caramel on the top as a decoration.
Ingredients: (for the dough)
- 250ml of milk
- 110g of butter
- A pinch of salt
- 140g of flo medium eggs
- Casson sugar or Pearl sugar for decoration
- Pour the milk into a pan and start to cook on a medium heat.
- Add the butter and the pinch of salt.
- Cook until the butter has melted completely.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the flour in one go.
- Stir vigorously until the dough detaches completely from the pan.
- Pour the dough into a bowl and add the first egg.
- Stir vigorously until the egg are completely incorporated.
- Repeat the process for each egg.
- Flour a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 200C degrees.
- Using a tablespoon, take a little dough and drop onto the tray (you can use a piping bags but with a tablespoon, it works too).
- Proceed the same way until the end of the dough.
- Don’t forget to let space between the Chouquettes.
- Bake for 30 minutes (170C degrees) or until the top turn golden (depending on the oven) and don’t open the oven during baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the caramel:
- 250g of white granulated sugar.
- 125ml of water.
- Add the sugar into a pan.
- Pour the water on the top.
- Cook on a medium heat until the caramel becomes golden.
- From time to time rotate the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat carefully (it’s hot).
- Dip each chouquette into the caramel (don’t forget it’s hot) and put it on a serving plate, sprinkle with Casson sugar or Pearl sugar.
The Chouquettes are soft, the sweetness is brought only by the caramel and the sugar and we love it with a good strong coffee.