Another Algerian bread, so soft. Algerians are mad about “bread”! People are even able to do a long queue just for bread…
- 400g of all purpose flour or plain flour
- 200ml of warm water (more or less depending the quality of the flour)
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 15g of fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds or nigella seeds
- 1 egg yolk for the brush
- Sesame seeds or nigella seeds to sprinkle the bread
- In a deep large bowl add the flour, the sugar in one side and the salt in the other side.
- Crumble the fresh yeast on the top (be careful not crumble the yeast beside the salt), slowly pour the water, one egg and the sesame seeds and start to knead for about 6 minutes, knead until the dough becomes very soft (around 10 minutes).
- The dough is smooth and elastic.
- Meanwhile, grease a round oven tray (25/30 centimeters), place the dough over it and flatten with your hands into a round shape then cover the dough with a clean kitchen cloth and set aside for 1.5 hours, until it doubles in size.
- Preheat your oven to 170C degrees just 15 minutes before baking.
- Brush with the egg yolk the top of your dough, with a knife trace a square grid and finally sprinkle the top of your dough with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, when you see the crust has turn gold-brown remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
The smell of the bread is always a feast at home.
It was our breakfast for yesterday morning with jam and honey.
PS: You can do the same procedure with your stand mixer! If you use dry yeast, follow the instructions on the package!