Another Algerian bread, so soft. Algerians are mad about “bread”! People are even able to do a long queue just for bread…
- 170ml of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of granulated white sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g of fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 350g of flour
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds or nigella seeds
- 1 egg yolk for the brush
- Pinch of sesame seeds or nigella seeds to sprinkle the bread
- In a deep bowl add the flour, the sugar in one side and the salt in the other side.
- In a middle make a small well add the yeast and slowly pour the water (more or less depending of the quality of the flour), one egg and the sesame seeds and start to knead for about 6 minutes, knead until the dough becomes very soft (around 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, grease a round oven tray, place the dough over it and flatten with your hands into a round shape then cover the dough with a clean kitchen cloth and set aside for 1 hour, until it doubles in size.
- After 1 hour, preheat your oven to 180C.
- Brush with the egg yolk the top of your dough, with a knife trace a square grid and finally sprinkle the top of your dough with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 35 minutes, when you see the crust has turn gold-brown remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
The smell of the bread is always a feast at home.
It was our breakfast for yesterday morning with jam and honey.
PS: You can do the same procedure with your stand mixer!