M’halbi is a fragrant, sweet and refreshing treat. It is popular in both Algeria and in the Middle East. The recipe varies from family to family, and it is usually served for celebrations and during the Holy Ramadan.
- 1 liter of full fat milk
- 100g of rice flour
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of orange blossom water or rose water
- Cinnamon or ground pistachios or dried apricots (for decoration)
- In a pan; pour the milk, add the rice flour and the sugar.
- Combine all the ingredients together and cook over a low medium heat.
- Pour the orange blossom water.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and a little thick (not too much). This usually takes around 15 minutes (depending on the stove).
- Pour the M’halbi into ramekins or small bowls.
- Set aside in the fridge for 4 hours or more.
- Before serving, sprinkle some cinnamon or chopped pistachios/dried apricots.
Bonne Dégustation and Ramadan Kareem!