First of all, I wish you all a Happy New Year, full of joy, happiness, and many tasty food experiences! After all the sweet treats devoured during the last month, I’m back to my bread baking. You all know that I love any kind of bread, mainly because it’s a part of my culture (and because it’s so good!).
Today I prepared some Piadina, a flat bread originally from Italy. Simple, rustic and very good especially when still warm.
Serves: 4 large Piadinas
Ingredients: (for the Piadina)
- 500g of flour
- 7g of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of caster sugar
- 100ml of olive oil
- 150ml of milk
- In the mixing bowl of the stand mixer add the flour, the sugar, the salt and the baking powder.
- Start to mix the all the ingredients with the hook of your stand mixer on a low speed.
- Pour the olive oil and mix.
- Pour the milk and mix on a high speed until the dough detaches from the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap it with a plastic and put it in the fridge for 1 hour (during this 1 hour, you can prepare the ingredients for the stuffing).
Ingredients: (for the stuffing)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- Feta cheese
- Black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- Wash the bell peppers.
- Cut off the top of the bell peppers.
- Cut in two and remove the ribs and seeds.
- Slice into thin slices.
- In a large pan add a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sauté on a medium heat the sliced bell peppers.
- Add the salt and the black pepper.
- When they are soft and tender removes them from the heat and set aside.
- Flour a clean surface.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Cut the dough into 4 balls.
- Flatten the 4 balls with a rolling pin as a round shape and set aside.
- Cook over a medium heat each Piadina into a nonstick pan (poke with a fork the top of the dough).
- When the bottom is golden brown, flip the Piadina and cook the other side.
- Proceed the same way for the rest of the dough.
- Stuff the warm Piadina with bell peppers, onion and feta (drizzle with olive oil) or with bell peppers, mozzarella, black olives.
- Eat immediately.
PS: You can stuff your Piadina’s with any toppings that you like!!