- 300g of all purpose flour
- 150g of soft butter
- 100g of icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 25ml of water
- Icing sugar to dust
- Strawberry jam
- In a bowl add the flour, the icing sugar, and the salt.
- Add the butter and mix the ingredients with your fingers.
- Add one egg and mix slowly (always with your fingers).
- Pour the water and mix until it holds a softball.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Dust with the flour a clean surface.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough (0,5 centimeters thickness).
- Grease and flour a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 170C degrees.
- With cookie cutters make a circle shape.
- Divide the numbers of the biscuits in 2.
- Keep one-half whole (which will serve as the base).
- Use small cookie cutters and make a hole in the middle of the other half (you obtain half whole biscuits and half with a hole in the middle, like in the pictures).
- Add the biscuits to the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, when the bottom is golden remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- With a teaspoon add a little of the jam in the middle of the whole biscuits (the base).
- Dust with icing sugar the biscuit with a hole in the middle.
- Delicately cover the biscuits with the hole on the top of the whole biscuits.
The biscuits are soft and buttery. You can choose any jam, I opted for a strawberry jam because I like the contrast of the jam and the icing sugar.
PS: When I was younger I used to call them “little mirrors” because the jam in the middle would always shine!