Last month, I ventured to Abu-Dhabi to pick up a big envelope from my fantastic fellow Blogger friend Elaine @foodbod. I spent a delectable afternoon with her lovely family who brought this gift over from the UK. Inside the envelope were Black Garlic and Moroccan and Creole Spices (as well as a lovely letter). Thank’s again Elaine! I decided to cook my black garlic with a fresh homemade tagliatelle with cream and some few basil leaves as accompaniment.
Ingredients: (for the tagliatelle)
- 200g of plain flour/all purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of water
- In a large bowl, add the flour and make a well.
- Break the 2 eggs in the middle.
- Add the salt, the olive oil, and the water.
- Mix with a fork from the center to incorporate gradually the flour into the eggs (the dough becomes sticky).
- Finish assembling the dough with your hands.
- Knead with the palm of your hands during 5 minutes.
- Now, the dough is soft in texture, (at this stage, the dough shouldn’t be sticky).
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Flour a clean surface and cut the dough in two equal balls.
- Before you start to use your pasta machine, flatten with your rolling pin each ball (into a rectangular shape) and dust with flour each of them with flour.
- Dust with flour your pasta machine to make it easier when you place the dough between the notches.
- Set your pasta machine at position number 1 (the widest setting/ the large one), place the first dough through flat rollers by turning the handle of your machine, with the other hand gently pull the pasta sheet.
- Flour again and folds strips in 2 and repeat the same process 5 times.
- Now decrease the position of your machine to number 3, repeat the same process but this time doesn’t fold the dough.
- Repeat again by decreasing the position of the machine until number 5.
- Do not forget to flour all the time.
- Now your pasta sheets are ready for cutting.
- Prepare a clean kitchen towel to place beside your pasta machine.
- Dust your pasta sheets and pass the first one through the pasta machine using the tagliatelle attachment.
- Repeat the same process with the second pasta sheet.
- Now the tagliatelle is ready to cook.
For the sauce:
- Black garlic
- 200g of fresh cream
- A few basil leaves
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- In a bowl add the fresh cream and the chopped basil.
- Add the salt and the black pepper.
- Mix gently all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Boil water in a large pot with a pinch of salt.
- Pour the pasta into the boiling water and cook them, Al Dante.
- Transfer the pasta to a colander and drain them.
- Pour the pasta into a serving dish, drizzle with a little of olive oil, pour the fresh cream on the top and add the sliced black garlic.
The pasta is simple but delicious, and the only flavor is brought by the black garlic. For more information about black garlic, check Elaine’s post, you will be amazed by how you can work with this little ingredient.
PS: You can make the tagliatelle without using a pasta machine and if you have a pasta machine, check the instructions (as all of the machines are different).