Aioli is a garlic sauce from South of France (Provence), is similar to mayonnaise but this one is made with olive oil, egg yolk, garlic and lemon juice. The perfect combination of fish.
- 4 Hamour steaks (sea bass)
- 8 small potatoes
- 1 small bunch of coriander
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 100ml of olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- In a plastic bag add the 4 Hamour steaks, the chopped coriander, 2 chopped garlic and 4 slices of lemon and drizzle with olive oil.
- Shake the bag to mix all the ingredients together.
- Set aside for 1 hour into the fridge.
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Boil a cooking pot and add the potatoes with a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes becomes soft.
- Remove from the cooking pot and put them into the colander.
- In a bowl add 1 egg yolk, a pinch of salt the minced and mashed of the 6 garlic cloves and the juice of a half lemon.
- Start to whisk vigorously and add slowly a few drops of olive oil and whisk constantly until the mixture is emulsified.
- Continue adding a few drops of olive oil (until you have added all of your olive oil) and whisk.
- The emulsion of Aioli doubled in size, you should have a yellow thick texture.
The final step:
- Preheat a grill pan over a medium heat.
- Remove the steak fish from the plastic bag and add the Hamour on the top of the grill.
- Cook each side 10 minutes (I liked them grilled).
Serve on a plate with a few slices of potatoes and a generous spoon of Aioli. The fish has a good texture and very tasty, the potatoes are soft and the Aioli gives the final touch.
You can store the Aioli in the fridge for 2 days. My mother makes the best one, thank you, mum, you’re my best teacher 😉