Yet another recipe for my puff pastry recipe! The little palmiers are a simple, classic, French little treat. They are very easy to prepare, all you need is a good quality of puff pastry and sugar! They are also called elephant ears when they are on sale in large size.
- 300g of pâte feuilletée/puff pastry ( http://www.lafaimdesbananes.com/article-pate-feuilletee-maison-109085809.html)
- 100g of caster sugar
- Dust generously a clean surface with sugar.
- Flatten the pâte feuilletée/puff pastry on the top of the sugar and make a rectangle (25/30 centimeters).
- Sprinkle with sugar the top of the dough (be generous).
- Put the long side of the rectangle in front of you.
- Mark the center of the dough with a small line (at 15 centimeters).
- Start folding each side into the middle (start with the long side of the rectangle).
- Then repeat the same procedure a second time.
- Repeat again for the third and the last time (you obtain six layers, it should look like a closed book).
- Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease and dust with sugar a large cooking pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- With a sharp knife cut slices of 1cm thick and lay them on the cooking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes (more or less depending on the oven).
- When they are golden brown, flip the little palmiers with a spatula and bake again for another 10 minutes.
- When they are brown and caramelized (as seen in the picture) remove them from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Crispy, sweet and caramelized! These little treats are perfect for a tea, I opted for a Jasmine tea!
PS: As I am a gourmand, I always choose the elephant ears at the bakery with my cousins 🙂
39 Comments Add yours
A quick treat 🙂
Yes and crispy as I like 😉
These are a simple, yet delightful looking treat! Your procedure of folding / rolling the dough yields beautiful results. 🙂 Here in the US, elephant ears are a common food item at festivals and fairs…I much prefer the smaller size treat you’re offering here! I bet the we’re the perfect treat with your jasmine tea. These are lovely, Linda!
Thanks a lot Nancy 🙂 You remembered when I said I wanted to try every recipe with puff pastry, I think I’m really addicted now 😀 I’m glad to know they are also popular in us.They are so crispy and so yummy. Enjoy the end of your weekend!
Sooo cute n easy ❤️
Very cute, crispy and easy ❤
These palmiers look delicious Linda and so nicely caramelised! I would love to have some here with me right now to nibble on! 🙂
Thank you so much, Lili 🙂 I’m sure you will love it 😉
I love these so much – yours are really pretty too!
Thank you so much 🙂
Wohooo…I am drooling here , pass me some Linda 🙂
How many do you want Malar 😉 But hurry up…
I loved them as a child – we call them ‘bunny ears’ in German 😉
Funny name ‘bunny ears’ in German, Sabine said ‘pig ears’ and Nancy ‘elephant ears 😀 I still love them even better now, Ginger 😉
I remember ‘pig ears, too! There are so many dialects in German – who knows …
Gorgeously golden, crispy bites of deliciousness! YUM! 🙂
Thank you so much for this lovely comment, Margot 🙂
What can I say Linda, how am I supposed to concentrate now, all I can think of are sweet palmiers! Nicole xx
I always make savoury ones with black olive tapenade to nibble on or to go with drinks before dinner (https://thejameskitchen.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/palmiers/).
Ha, ha,ha, you made me laugh, Nicole 😀
I just visited your post and I realized that your savory version is delicious. Petits palmiers are so versatile. I will try your recipe, they are perfect for a picnic. Have a nice weekend xx
Very nice, I also make savory versions of the French Classic with whole grain mustard, thin sliced prosciutto ham and sautéed spinach, then sub the parmesan cheese for the sugar.
Thank you, Daniel 🙂 Your version looks absolutely delightful and tasty!
On my wish list… one of these days, I’ll try to master your puff pastry recipe. 🙂 I love palmiers, and these look so cute and delectable.
Thank you, Fae 🙂 They are really good especially when they are caramelized!
I love palmiers, but I am too afraid to try to make them. These look perfect and ooh! so delicious xx
Thank you so much, Maulshri 🙂 They are easy to prepare. If you are uncomfortable to try the puff pastry, you can buy a ready one in the market. I’m sure you will love it. xx
Thank you xx
Yummy, Linda! I love these. Btw, in German they´re called Schweineohren, pigs´ears!
They are yummy and crispy, Sabine 🙂 Ginger call them ‘bunny ears’ and Nancy ‘elephant ears’ and you ‘pig ears’, we are in a zoo my dear 😀
You never cease to amaze me Linda. I am loving your series on tea time snacks. I still couldn’t get over your makrout. And then we have these gorgeous beauties stàring at you.
Thank you so so much for your lovely words, skd 🙂 It depends my mood, one day sweet and the other one salty 😀 Enjoy the rest of your weekend xxx
☺Enjoy your weekend too Linda. So that you can rest and dish out yummy food for us in the week ahead.
They look delicous Linda! It’s a perfect recipe for my boyfriend- he’s a big fun of these, especially when we travel 😍😍 he was just checking- inspired by this post- how much he would need to pay for them in the US haha have a lovely weekend xx
Thanks a bunch Marta 🙂 Your boy friend is a (fin gourmet, les bonnes choses se payent chères…). He is a lucky guy to have a good chef like you at home. I’m still dreaming about your macarons , Marta 😦 Enjoy the rest of your weekend xx
He surely is Linda- enough to say, after this post, he bough a few of those in an organic bakery and ate them all without sharing! He calls them palmitos 😀
Oh la la Marta 😉 Yes you’re right they are also called palmitos (palmito ça se croque…) 😀
My sweet tooth knows no bounds for these cookies… I’ve never had the courage to make them, but at least I had the bravery to finish an in tire box of them! They look absolutely perfect Linda!
They are so crunchy Margherita, perfect with a tea or coffee. It’s crumbs everywhere when you eat them but it doesn’t matter 😀
j’aime beaucoup les palmiers Linda bravo !!!!!!