The weekend is here, beautiful weather outside, and we all know what that means; Fiesta Friday #42. Today I’m bringing a Moelleux au Chocolat, made with only dark chocolate. I’m not addicted to chocolate like the rest of my family but this Moelleux is very nice for any occasion!There is always a debate about this cake; Moelleux or Fondant, the Moelleux is light and moist inside the Fondant has a melted chocolate inside when you cut the cake. I let you choose!
- 250g of dark chocolate (for me Lindt 85% of cocoa)
- 6 eggs
- 180g of white granulated sugar
- 150g of soft butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour (optional)
- Cocoa powder or icing sugar for decoration
- Grease and flour a round pan of 23 cm and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170C degrees.
- In a bain-Marie melt the chocolate and the butter and stir gently.
- In the first bowl add 2 eggs.
- In another bowl separate the whites from the egg yolks (and add the 4 egg yolks into the first bowl).
- Into the first bowl with the (2 eggs and the 4 eggs yolk) add the sugar and start to whisk.
- Add the flour and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes frothy and white.
- Add the melted chocolate and whisk gently.
- In the second bowl whisk the egg whites until forms soft peaks.
- Incorporate the whisked egg whites to the first bowl and whisk gently with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the round pan and bake for 40 minutes (more or less depending on the oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving plate.
- Dust with icing sugar for a contrast.
This Moelleux is sweet but not too sweet, smooth and light, and served perfectly with a fresh pomegranate juice!