The weekend is here, beautiful weather outside, and we all know what that means; Fiesta Friday #42. Today I’m bringing a Flourless Chocolate Cake/Moelleux au Chocolat, made with only dark chocolate. I’m not addicted to chocolate like the rest of my family but this Cake is very nice for any occasion! There is always a debate about this cake; Moelleux or Fondant, the Moelleux is light and moist inside the Fondant has a melted chocolate inside when you cut the cake. I let you choose!
- 250g of dark chocolate 70% (I worked this time with 85% of cocoa)
- 6 eggs
- 180g of caster sugar
- 150g of soft butter
- Cocoa powder or icing sugar for decoration
- Grease and flour a round pan of 23cm x 5cm and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170C degrees.
- In a bain-Marie melt the chocolate and the butter and stir gently.
- In the first bowl add 2 eggs.
- In another bowl separate the whites from the egg yolks (and add the 4 egg yolks into the first bowl).
- Into the first bowl with the (2 eggs and the 4 eggs yolk) add the sugar and start to whisk, until the mixture becomes frothy and white.
- Pour the melted chocolate and whisk gently.
- In the second bowl whisk the egg whites until forms soft peaks.
- Incorporate the whisked egg whites to the first bowl and whisk gently with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the round pan and bake for 40 minutes (more or less depending on the oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving plate.
- Dust with icing sugar for a contrast or cocoa powder.
This Cake is sweet but not too sweet, smooth and light, and served perfectly with a fresh pomegranate juice on this sunny day!