The Holy Month of Ramadan started for muslims around the world (23 of March) this year. It means during this Blessed Month, fasting is observed from dawn to sunset. Also time to gather with family and friends.
During, this sacred month, I always cook Algerian cuisine. Traditional dishes from Algeria and especially from my family.
I prepared Dolma Qaraa for tonight. A simple and delicious dish consists on stuffing courgettes with minced meat, parsley, rice, and spices. Cooked in a white sauce flavored with cinnamon.
The origin comes from the Turkish cuisine and introduced by the Ottomans in Algeria (1525-1830).
Dolma is a Turkish world and means stuffing.
Qaraa means in Algerian language courgette or zucchini
You can replaced the courgettes with artichokes or Savoy cabbage or grape leaves.
-6 big courgettes
-400g of chunks lamb
-300g of minced lamb
-4 tablespoons of sunflower oil
-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
-Handful of chickpeas (soaked overnight)
-2 brown onions (chopped finely)
-50g of round rice (Arborio for me)
-2 bouquets of parsley (chopped finely)
-1,5 liter of water
Method: (The stuffing)
- Wash and rinse the courgettes.
- Peel the courgettes and chop up the tops.
- Cut in two the courgettes.
- Scoop out the flesh inside with a melon baller or a teaspoon (keep the flesh you can make a soup with them, later).
- In a large bowl, add the minced meat, the salt, the black pepper, the cinnamon, the chopped parsley, the chopped onion, the rice and 1 egg.
- Mix all the ingredients with your hands.
- Stuff the courgettes and set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the sunflower oil.
- Add the chunks lamb pieces.
- Cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes or until the color becomes brown.
- Add 1 chopped onion, the chickpeas, the ground cinnamon, the salt and the black pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes over low heat.
- Pour 1,5 liter of water and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes more or less depending of the quality of your meat.
- Remove the cooked lamb pieces from the skillet and place them on a plate on the side.
- Add the stuffed courgettes into the sauce.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is reduced but enough to serve with the lamb.
- In a large serving plate add the lamb and the stuffed courgettes.
- Pour the sauce on the top and garnish with some parsley.
For a better taste drizzle some lemon on the top!
8 Comments Add yours
These look so delicious, Linda.😁
Thank you, Jhuls 🙂
What an inviting and interesting recipe of two ingredients staple in my home but used differently. Shall definitely try – thanks!
You’re welcome 🙂
It’s a beautiful dish 👍
Thank you, Zeba 🙂
this sounds so delicious apart from the lamb :=) but i could use beef or chicken mince I guess.
Thank you and yes you can use beef or chicken mince. Very often I use beef 🙂