Do you ever happen to overbuy milk sometimes, and are left with too much with the expiration date fast approaching? This was my mistake this week, and so to use the milk, I decided to make this easy, simple and no bake ‘custard cream’. It’s flavored with saffron, and topped with salted caramel sauce!
A delicious sweet treat as I like, and just in time to join Fiesta Friday #156!
For the Cream:
Serves: 6/8 ramequins
- A few strands of saffron (just a few, as too much saffron, destroys the dish)
- 500ml full-fat milk
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 30g cornflour
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to boil over a medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and add the saffron.
- Set aside 10 minutes to let the saffron infuse into the milk.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and the eggs, and whisk until they become well mixed.
- Pour the cornflour and continue to whisk.
- Slowly pour the milk into the large bowl and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and cook over a medium heat (whisk constantly until the cream becomes smooth and thick), remove from the heat.
- Pour the cream into individual ramequins and refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
Before serving, cover each ramequin with the salted caramel. The texture is delicious with the combination of the cold custard and the hot salted caramel sauce!