I’m not sure about you, but it’s getting very hot where I live. The summer has nearly arrived here in Dubai, which almost means no more gardening, picnics, or any outdoor activities. This is why we are really enjoying our last few days outside, spending time in our garden with the smell of Frangipani tree, Jasmine flowers and a flavorful mint tea (with fresh mint from my garden).
For this week’s Fiesta Friday # 116 I’m bringing a sweet and delicious Pine Nut Tarte made with almond cream and pine nuts on the top. Simple, delicious and looks like Amandine Tarte. I love serving this tart with my flavorful North African mint tea! I hope you will like it!
Serves: 8/10 slices
Ingredients: (for the crust/pâte sablée)
- 300g of plain flour/all purpose flour
- 125g of soft butter
- 100g of icing sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 egg
- 25ml of water
- In a bowl add the flour, the salt, the lemon zest and the icing sugar, (you can do the same procedure with a food processor).
- With your fingertips, start to mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter and mix until combined.
- Add the egg and mix until the dough becomes assembled.
- Slowly add the milk and mix until it holds a perfect ball (maybe more or less milk depending on the quality of the flour and the size of the egg).
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the dough from the fridge.
- Grease a deep tart pan.
- Roll your dough between two big sheets of parchment paper.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough and make a circle shape, the size of your tart pan.
- Peel off the parchment paper from one side of your plastic wrap, flip the dough over the tart plate and slowly remove the other parchment paper.
- With a fork, poke the bottom of your dough and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
Ingredients: (for almond cream)
- 100g of soft butter
- 80g of caster sugar
- 100g of almond powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of pure almond extract
- 250g of pine nuts
- Icing sugar
Procedure: (for the filling)
- In a medium bowl add the butter.
- Whisk very well.
- Add the sugar and continue to whisk.
- Add the first egg and continue to mix.
- Add the second egg and mix until all the ingredients are well combined together (soft and creamy).
- Finally, pour the almond extract and then the almond powder.
- Pour the almond cream on the top of the tart.
- Add the pine nuts on the top (c0ver the entire surface).
- Bake for 45 minutes (more or less depending on the oven) or when the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow cooling for 30 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar.
I suggest you serve this tart with a sweet North African mint tea and some roasted pine nuts on the side! 🙂
PS: Almond cream is not a frangipane cream. A frangipane cream is a mixture of almond cream and crème patissière!
Also, here are some pictures of my garden!