Today, the Holy Month of Ramadan started for muslims around the world. It means during this Blessed Month, fasting is observed from dawn to sunset. Also time to gather with family and friends.
During, this sacred month, I always cook Algerian cuisine. Traditional dishes that we served in my family.
For this evening, I prepared a Chorba Mketfa (vermicelli soup). This soup is prepared in Algiers (capital city of Algeria). Made with lamb, vegetables (green vegetables), tomatoes, spices and vermicelli.
This delicious, simply but fragrant soup is served for Iftar and accompanied with Khobz (homemade bread) or bourek.
Have a blessed ramadan!
-300g of lamb or mutton (cut in small pieces)
-4 tablespoons of sunflower oil
-500g of ripe tomatoes or (one can of peeled plum tomato mixed)
-Handful of chickpeas (soaked overnight)
-1 brown or white onion (finally chopped)
-Handful of green peas
-1 courgette (grated and cut in small cubes)
-100g of green beans (cut in two)
-1 teaspoon of tomato paste
-1 tablespoon of red sweet Spanish paprika (felfel Akri)
-2 liters of warm water
-Handful of fine vermicelli
-1 small bouquet of coriander
- Place the tomatoes into a boiling water pot, cook for less than one minute. Remove them with a slotted spoon and let them to cool off. Peel back the skin with your hands and mixed them as a purée.
- In a large pot add the sunflower oil and the chopped onion, on a medium heat.
- Add the lamb/mutton cut in small cubes.
- Sauté a few minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander, the salt, the black pepper, the tomato paste, the chickpeas, the green peas, the chopped courgette, the green beans and the paprika.
- Mix the lamb, the vegetables and the spices together with a spatula.
- Pour a little of water and simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors combine together.
- Pour the tomato purée with the rest of water.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- Pour slowly the vermicelli.
- Reduce the heat and simmer again for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and squize a little of lemon on the top.
- I served my Chorba with Ramadan Pidesi (Turkish homemade bread).
PS: For the vermicelli do not use the thick one.
3 Comments Add yours
Thank you so much for the vermicelli soup recipe. You helped me out coz was thinking what should I make today.
You’re welcome Sajeda, I hope you will like it. Have a great day 🙂
i don’t eat lamb but apart from that, this soup sounds good.