Hazelnut Cake

IMG_5759IMG_5760IMG_5776IMG_5797Time flies so fast, I cannot believe it we are in August plus I missed a couple of Fiesta Friday but I’m back with a light, simple and delicious Hazelnut Cake. It reminds me a meringue and also crunchy with the addition of roasted hazelnut.

This cake is from the Aquitaine region (southwestern France), and the original recipe is made with nuts, not butter and is gluten free. I opted to use roasted hazelnuts, and adapted the recipe from the book Gâteaux from Christophe Felder and Camille Lesecq, which I think I’m becoming addicted to!

Now it’s time to go to Fiesta Friday #131Huge thanks to Angie and to our co-host ladies for this week Su @ Su’s Healthy Living and Laura @ Feast Wisely

Serves: 8/10 Slices

Ingredients:

• 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 160g of caster sugar
  • 45g of Maizena/Corn Starch
  • 3 eggs white
  • 100g of chopped roasted hazelnut (for me)
  • Cocoa powder

Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
  2. Grease a cake pan with a movable bottom (23 centimeters for me).
  3. In a large bowl, beat energetically the egg yolk, 1 egg, and 80g of caster sugar until you obtain a light and creamy texture.
  4. Add the maizena/corn starch and continue to beat.
  5. In another bowl add the 3 eggs white and the rest of the caster sugar (80g), with an electric mixer, whisk until soft peaks form.
  6. Pour this mixture into the first one, and add the chopped roasted hazelnuts.
  7. Mix gently with a spatula.
  8. Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 25 minutes (more or less depending on the oven).
  9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
  10. Transfer the cake to a serving plate.
  11. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on the top, and decorate with some chocolate sauce.
  12. Serve with a good hot coffee.

Bonne Dégustation!

PS: Maizena is a brand name for a popular cornstarch!

For the chocolate sauce frosting, I used some pieces of 70% of dark chocolate. Add the dark chocolate in a pan with 1 tablespoon of milk. Cook over a medium heat and stir until the chocolate melts with the milk together. Remove from the heat, and place the melting chocolate in a pastry bag, or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off, and cover the cake.

1. I can see why you might be “addicted” to this cookbook looking at the recipes you post. Great looking cake – I have never used hazelnuts but an old neighbor made us a delicious dessert from them – she had a tree in her yard.

1. Thanks a lot Judi, I really appreciate your nice comment. Your neighbor is lucky to have a hazelnut tree in her yard. I like to use hazelnuts with a chocolate mousse too, yummy! Have a nice weekend! 🙂

2. I’m sure roasting the nuts gives the cake a deep flavor. Love the idea! 🙂

1. Absolutetly Ronit, this cake is light and flavorful. I’m glad you like it! 🙂

3. Debs Stanyon says:

You’ve put beat 3 x egg yolks in the method, it should be egg whites

1. Thank you so much, I just updated the post. I really appreciate! 🙂

4. Nancy says:

Such a delicious looking cake, Linda! With it’s lightness, I’m sure it makes for a perfect summertime dessert. Love your addition of the chocolate drizzle! (thanks for explaining the cornstarch – I was wondering!)

1. Thank you very much Nancy! It was really tasty and light like a meringue, I’m glad you like it! 🙂

5. I can imagine how wonderful the cookbook must be looking at that cake. Wow, it looks and sounds amazing. I love hazelnuts, the cake itself seems very light with lots of texture. Not too sweet either.

1. Thank you very much Suzanne! 🙂

6. Loretta says:

Linda, this looks so moist and flavorful. I love the addition of hazelnuts, I’m sure it added to the flavors. I like too that there aren’t many ingredients, but yet the cake looks lush and decadent. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. ALL your recipes have me salivating all the time, on Instagram too 🙂

1. Thank you for the lovely comment Loretta. I was surprised and pleased how it turned out, light and crispy! Have a fab week! 🙂

7. Linda I love any sweet treat that contains hazelnuts – and this cake looks like it would pair perfectly with a pot of tea. Thanks for bringing to this week’s Fiesta Friday!

1. Thank you so much Laura and also thanks for co-hosting this week FF. Have a nice week! 🙂

8. Jhuls says:

Linda, did you use pastry bag this time? 😀
    The cake looks absolutely heaven. I am saving the recipe and will make it soon. Now, please hand me over a slice to go with my cup of tea. 🙂 I hope you are having a fabulous time and happy FF! x

1. No Jhuls 😀 I used a mini ziploc bag (you can see on the picture, my hand was shaking). but it’s a delicious treat. Have a wonderful week! 🙂 xx

1. Jhuls says:

Haha, I could imagine. 😀

9. ladyredspecs says:

Delicious recipe Linda, thanks. I’ll be taste testing very soon…

1. Oh, thank you so much Sandra! 🙂

10. Ahila says:

Interesting cake recipe, with the meringue touch and the addition of corn starch. Looks delicious and makes me want to try it out. Have a lovely week, Linda! 🙂

1. Thanks a lot Ahila! Very easy and tasty cake. I hope you will give it a try and you will enjoy it as much as I did. Have a lovely week too! 🙂

11. Absolutely loved it ❤️

1. Thank you so much Sonal! 🙂

12. petra08 says:

This cake looks incredibly light! Hazelnuts are so delicious and it looks like an amazing cake!

1. Thank you so much Petra! 🙂

13. In the Pursuit of Happiness says:

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it.

Check out my blog too! https://inthepursuitofhappiness.co

1. Thank you so much Holly! Just visited your blog and looking forward to seeing many great recipes from your blog! 🙂

1. Thanks a lot Michelle! 🙂

14. Very nice! I’ve made cookies/macarons with this batter, but not yet a cake. Something to try, for sure.

1. Thanks a lot Stefan. Do let me know how it turns out. Sorry for the late reply! 🙂

15. I Love It! The recipe is so similar to dacquois, except this recipe uses egg yolks too. I know how delicious this recipe is. Just gorgeous! 🙂

1. Thank you very much Fae. You’re right it looks a lot like a dacquois and so good. Next target dacquois ;)Sorry for the late reply, just came back from my holidays! 🙂

16. chefjulianna says:

Yum! This sounds like a cookbook I must get and a cake that I must make! 😀

1. Thanks a lot Julianna 😀 It was so tasty!

17. Beautiful in style and flavour… as always my friend. Yum! M.xx

1. Thank you Margot, I appreciate your kind words. This cake is nice and so light. Sorry for the late reply! Have a wonderful weekend! XX

18. Margherita says:

It is nice coming back here with such a nice cake! Hazelnuts are already good on their own, I bet with cocoa this cake must be amazing!

1. Thanks a lot Margie! Unfortunately, I didn’t have a chance to come to Montreal this time 😦 I was so busy. Maybe next time! 🙂

1. Thank you very much! 🙂

19. callmetrav says:

I’m having a dinner party later. I’m going to make this. Thank you. 😋😋😋😋😋

1. Do let me know how it turns out! 🙂

1. callmetrav says:

Sounds good.

2. I’m glad you liked it. Have a great weekend!

3. callmetrav says:

Thank you, you too.

20. Iwanttobeacook says:

Looks delicious 😉

1. Thank you so much! have a nice weekend! 🙂

1. Iwanttobeacook says:

You are very welcome 😉 have a nice weekend too!

21. apsara says:

I missed this gorgeous cake earlier, Linda. A gluten-free cake with hazelnuts? Wow, that looks like a piece of heaven!

22. Sandhya says:

I love hazelnut flavor and this cake seems so light and flavorful, Linda.

1. Thank you so much, Sandhya! 🙂

23. Sumith says:

Delicious cake recipe. The touch of the meringues made it extra ordinary. Thanks for this great share Linda.

1. Thank you so much Sumith. It was tasty and fluffy! 🙂

24. Mary says:

I love hazelnuts and this looks great!

1. Thank you very much, I’m glad you like it! 🙂

25. Lily says:

This cake sounds amazing and it does look like a meringue to me too. So, I imagine an airy-crispy texture – yum!

1. Thank you so much, Lily! 🙂