A beautiful Friday sunny day to enjoy the weekend in the garden! And a delicious salty tart with a lot of aubergine pieces, and some tomatoes to brighten up my dish! To enhance the flavor, I added some fresh basil from my garden. This is my surprise for this week’s Fiesta Friday. A huge thank you to our wonderful host Angie from the Novice Gardener and to our co-host’s for this week; Julianna @Foodie On Board and Hilda @Along The Grapevine.
For the crust (pâte brisée):
Ingredients: (for the crust)
- 300g of wheat flour
- 125g of soft butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg
- 20 ml of water or more depending the texture of the flour
- In a large bowl add the flour and the oregano.
- Start to sift and add the soft butter.
- Mix with your fingers and add 1 egg.
- Pour a little water.
- Mix until you assemble the dough.
- Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Grease a tart pan (a rectangular shape for me).
- Roll your dough between two big sheet’s of parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough the size of your tart pan.
- Peel off the parchment paper from one side or your plastic wrap, flip the dough over the tart plate and slowly remove the other parchment paper or your plastic wrap and set aside.
- With a fork, poke the bottom of your dough and set aside.
For the filling:
- 1 big aubergine/eggplant
- 4 medium tomatoes
- A few leaves of fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Black kalamata olive (with pits)
- A pinch of salt.
- A pinch of black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Wash and rinse the aubergines, the tomatoes, and the fresh basil.
- In a large pan add extra virgin olive oil (4 tablespoons) and the chopped garlic.
- Cut the aubergines into small cubes.
- Chop the tomatoes, and chop the basil.
- Start to cook and add the aubergine cubes to the pan.
- Add the black kalamata olives, the chopped tomatoes, and the chopped basil into the pan.
- Add the salt and the black pepper.
- Cook all the ingredients until they become extremely tender, and remove the pan from the stove.
- Add some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese into the bottom of the crust.
- Pour the filling on the top.
- Cook the tart for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown (depending on the oven).
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
- Add some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on the top for a better taste.
The Parmigiano Reggiano cheese adds a lot of flavor to this tart. Now that the weather is great, this tart is perfect for a picnic, BBQ or simply for savoring it in the garden.