Fougasse and Tapenade

IMG_1045
Today I bring in my Paniere a smell of Provence, blue sky, the sound of cicadas and the smell of Maritime Pine trees. Both these recipes are from my lovely mother.

Thank you, Angie, from The Novice Gardener  for your delightful Fiesta Friday and thanks again to our Australian Co-Hostesses Margot from Gather and Gaze and Saucy from Saucy Gander for hosting our Fiesta #28 this week!

For the Fougasse:

Serves 4

Ingredients:

• 15g of fresh yeast
  • 100ml of lukewarm milk
  • 100ml of lukewarm water
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • 300g of wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of Herbes de Provence

PicMonkey Collage

Procedure:

• In a medium bowl add the fresh yeast.
  • Pour the lukewarm water, the lukewarm milk and the sugar on the top of the fresh yeast.
  • Stir with your fingers, cover with a plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
  • In a large bowl add the flour, the salt, and the Herbes de Provence.
  • Make a small well in the middle and pour the ready yeast.
  • Start to mix the all the ingredients (from the large bowl) with your fingers to make a dough.
  • In a clean surface add a little of olive oil and transfer the dough.
  • Knead with the palm of your hands.
  • Continue to knead until the dough becomes soft and not sticky.
  • Add a few drops of olive oil to the bottom of a large bowl.
  • Put the dough into the large bowl and cover with a plastic wrap.
  • Place the bowl in a warm place and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
  • After 1 hour the dough doubled in size.
  • Preheat the oven to 200C degrees.
  • Put a few drops of olive oil on a clean surface and knead for 5 minutes to remove the bubbles, the dough is soft and ready to be flattened.
  • Flour a large baking tray and add the dough.
  • Flatten with your hands and make an oval shape (as seen in the picture above).
  • With a knife make cuts (as seen in the picture above).
  • Brush the top of the Fougasse with olive oil and sprinkle with Herbes de Provence.
  • Bake for 30 minutes or until the Fougasse turns a brown color.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

For the Tapenade:

Ingredients:

• 200g of black olives Kalamata without the pits
  • 50g of  desalted anchovies
  • 50g of desalted capers
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 150ml of extra virgin olive oil

Procedure:

1. Into a mini kitchen chopper (or a mortar) add the anchovies, the capers, and the garlic.
  2. Start to mix.
  3. Add the black olives and mix again.
  4. Pour slowly the olive oil and finish with the lemon juice, and mix again.
  5. Pour the Tapenade into a small serving bowl.
  6. The Tapenade stays very well into the refrigerator, before serving drizzle the top with olive oil.

I add a small plate, Feta cheese, olive oil, Kalamata black olives and a few fresh Rosemary leaves on the side to complete our lunch.

The Fougasse is delicious and smells the Provence with the herbs, the Tapenade is perfect on the top of the fresh baked Fougasse.

Bon Appétit!

1. Thank you so much 🙂 Have a great weekend!

1. You too, thank you 😀

1. Thanks Melissa 🙂 It is delicious especially with Tapenade. Have a great weekend xx

1. Mmm, can almost smell it! Wish I could taste it! I love those pines (pini maritimii in Italian, and lots of them in Tuscany where I used to live), they make me thing of long, relaxing mediterranean summers.

1. Thank you Anna 🙂 I wish I could send you a Fougasse. I love the smell of pini maritimii too, the smell is just amazing. I went to Tuscany a long time ago, so beautiful. I’m very familiar with the Mediterranean summers! Happy FF and have a nice weekend!

2. Wow looks delicious….fougasse is something new to me will give it a try. ..happy FF. ..

1. Thank you Chitra 🙂 The Fougasse is a nice bread, can be stuffed with herbs or olives and sometimes onions. If you do try it, let me know please! Have a nice weekend!

1. Thanx Linda, sounds good will note it down and try to bake it sometime. …have a fab weekend. …

3. Hilda says:

A beautiful, rustic Italian dish. Can’t go wrong with that. Thanks for sharing.

1. Thank you very much Hilda 🙂 It’s always my pleasure to share. Happy FF!

4. platedujour says:

Linda it looks divine…I have no words really, it’s perfect for a nice lazy summer lunch, when you just eat and talk and have a great time 🙂

1. Thank you so much Marta 🙂 Fougasse reminds me my lovely parents, summer, farniente and my Mediterranean sea. Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

5. Ginger says:

This looks just incredible! I love tapenade but have never tried to make it myself – not to self to change my ways, following your glorious example!

1. Thank you Ginger 🙂 The Tapenade is easy to make and perfect with butter too on a grilled slice of bread. Simple and tasty!

1. Ginger says:

I’m looking forward to it!

6. Kaila511 says:

Looks tasty! Have a wonderful weekend, and happy FF! 😀

1. Thank you so much Kaila 🙂 Happy FF and have a great weekend too 🙂

7. Amazing, all looks so good 🙂

1. Thank you so much Elaine 🙂 Have a great weekend!

1. Thank you very much Ahila 🙂 I love it too 😀 Have a Happy FF and a wonderful weekend!

8. sabine says:

Fougasse is such an eye catcher of a loaf with that beautiful shape of a leaf! Wish I could have some of it right now!

1. Thank you very much Sabine 🙂 I wish I could send you a generous piece of Fougasse. It’s very simple to make. Have a nice weekend!

9. What a wonderful recipe! Do you slice it or tear it?

1. Thank you so much Julie 🙂 You made me laugh, without any hesitation we tear it, much better 😀 . Have a great weekend!

1. That’s exactly what I would want to do, but didn’t want to appear caveman like so thought I better check 😉

10. Malar says:

Very delicious Linda!!! Fougasse is totally new for me , it looks easy to make also, thanks for bringing it 🙂

1. Thank you very much Malar 🙂 Fougasse is a very popular bread in South of France and South of Italy, easy to make. You can stuff the Fougasse with fresh herbs, olives or onions too. Very rustic and delicious. Happy FF and have a nice weekend too!

11. This is toooo gooooood my friend Linda xx

1. Thank you so much Dimple xx. I love sharing my mum recipes 🙂

12. Mr Fitz says:

That looks do so good!

1. Thank you so much 🙂 Have a nice weekend!

13. Fab!! Fab!!! Faaaabulous Linda!!!! 😍

1. Thank you my Dear Fariente 🙂 Send me a dozen of your sweet treas and I will send you a Fougasse 😀 Have a lovely weekend!

14. chefjulianna says:

Oh, I am in heaven, Linda! I can just smell the aromas of your bread and tapenade! You have really inspired me because this is what I just love to eat. I have been experimenting with yeast doughs and I think I will make this very soon. I’ll let you know how it turns out! Merci mille fois! 😀 😀

1. Thank you so much Julianna 🙂 Trust me, the dough is very easy to make (if you don’t want to work with fresh yeast you can use the instant dry yeast and combine the rest of the ingredients together). De rien, c’est toujours un plaisir 😀 Enjoy your weekend and Happy FF!

15. Amanda says:

What a beautiful recipe. I think I’m going to make this. I will finally get over my fear of yeast and do it. I’ll invoke Provence!

1. Thank you Amanda 🙂 It is simple to make and invoke Provence 😉 If you do try it, let me know please! Have a nice weekend!

16. Just gorgeous!! Love the fact that you have used wholewheat too:))

1. Thank you so much for your nice comment, Shy 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

17. I really love the fougasse Linda, looks so stylish the way it’s cut before baking! I love this kind of food for a casual weekend lunch or for nibbles for dinner – just beautiful. So great to now have a tried and tested recipe for tapenade too – one of my favourites, but something I’ve never made myself. Happy FF#28 to you – what a lovely way to kick it off with this paniere of delights! Thanks, M

1. Thank you very much for your kind words Margot 🙂 When I go to visit my lovely family in South of France, “ma maman” always prepared for me a delicious Fougasse, Tapenade and Aioli, simple food but so delicious. I’m sure you will love it and if you do try do let me know. Thanks for co-hosting Fiesta Friday and have a wonderful weekend!

18. saucygander says:

I love fougasse! It’s so pretty, and great for a group lunch, or a crazy ol’ fiesta. Serving it with tapenade is such a good idea! Gorgeous, as usual.

1. Thank you so much Saucy 🙂 A crazy Fiesta with a Fougasse sounds perfect, I’m coming with more 😀 Thank you for co-hosting this fabulous FF. Have a superb weekend!

19. Sinfully Tempting says:

Lovely recipe, I’ll definitely be trying this soon! 🙂

1. Thank you so much 🙂 If you do try do let me know, please. Happy FF!

1. Thank you so much Dhanya 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend!

20. I have to learn how to bake bread. I will one of these days, and I am going to bake this recipe. Decided. 😀 ))) Gorgeous looking fougasse and I know that tapenade must be perfect.

1. Thank you so much for your nice words 🙂 Fae, I think it’s time to know how to bake bread 😀 Do let me know if you do try it! Have a nice weekend 🙂

21. Michelle says:

It looks great, love this idea!

1. Thank you Michelle 🙂 Have a nice weekend!

22. Just gorgeous Linda! The fougasse especially looks brilliant. I have been wanting to make it ever since I saw Angie’s too 🙂

1. Thank you Naina 🙂 Yes, I remember Angie’s Fougasse (awesome). I’m a huge Fan of bread 😉 Have a nice weekend!

23. Serena says:

Yummy!!!! Wonderful recipe, full of flavours! The fougasse looks amazing!!!

1. Thank you very much Serena 🙂 Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

24. milkandbun says:

It’s such a pretty and beautiful bread! I should bake it too! 🙂

1. Thank you Mila 🙂 You should, I’m sure your bread will be tasty!

25. Beautiful, the fougasse is so gorgeous and perfect with the tapenade.

1. Thank you very much Suzanne 🙂 The Fougasse was eaten very quickly but I still have a little of Tapenade… Have a nice weekend!

26. I love this French touch Linda…. I’m used to bake bread or focaccia, but never this kind, better known as fougasse. Love the tapenade, I’d be able to finish all the dip in a few seconds!

1. Thank you Margherita 🙂 Fougasse is so popular in Nice, if you like focaccia you will like fougasse…The tapenade was nice too, I like tapenade with sole and boiled potatoes on the side, simple and good. My mum prepares always this kind of food in summertime. Have a nice week!

27. Making fougasse is on my “to do list” – your recipe sounds great Linda 🙂

1. Thank you so much Judi 🙂 Simple, rustic bread; you can add lavender on the top if you want for more flavor. Have a nice week!

28. Such a delicious bread and the tapenade also sounds so interesting. I have never used herb de province before but it sounds so good! 🙂

1. Thank you very much Indu 🙂 My mother’s favorite recipes…Herbes de Provence are very good and bring a lot of flavors (soup, bread, fish…) the smell is nice too. Have a nice week!

29. Wow Linda can have a big pieces pls

1. Thank you Vidya 🙂 Next time I’ll bake for you a huge Fougasse 😀

30. Definitely going to give this a try- it looks fantastic! 🙂

1. Thank you Sarah 🙂 Simple to make and very tasty!

31. Ngan R. says:

Beautiful bread and tapenade, Linda. How nice of you to share your mother’s recipes!

1. Thank you very much Ngan 🙂 I learned so many from her and still continue to learn!

32. Mmmh, Linda, your fougasse looks really great and I can smell the tapenade from here. N.

1. Thank you so much 🙂 Do let me know if you give it a try! Have a great weekend.

33. Patty Nguyen says:

This looks wonderful, Linda. What a great combo of flavors. Mmmm….

1. Thank you Patty 🙂 My mother’s fougasse and tapenade are much much better than mine, I still learning 😉 Have a fabulous weekend!